The beauty of this time in our lives is each princess is still small enough, and I am strong enough, for me to lift them each off the ground for an imaginary waltz for the duration of a song or two before I need a break; it is a magical time for us both. Sometimes, we find a special song that blends our faith and love for Christ with our day, such as Hungry (Falling on my knees), by Kathryn Scott. We found the song on the drive to school one morning when my daughters wanted me to find a "girl's song"; flipping through our CD collection, I found this one. We all loved it...and played it over..., and over..., and over again.
The song reminds me I am the father of two daughters, who will one day have their own relationship with Christ, directed by their own convictions founded upon Catholic principles and tradition. In the present moment, it reminds me of our time together kneeling, holding hands, them squirming about and trying to recall the Lord's Prayer and then mumbling the parts they forget; when we don't know what to pray for, we leave it to the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:26). Also, it punctuates some morning drives to school with the windows down, cool wind rushing about, and us singing in fellowship together, praising our Lord and giving thanks for the mornings we have as the sun comes over our local hills to brighten our souls and warm the air.
Whether my daughters are dancing their new "ballet moves" or we are waltzing, we share joyful moments and create memories we will each hold dear for quite some time to come.
We two alone will sing like birds i'the cage:
When thou dost ask me blessing, I'll kneel down,
And ask of thee forgiveness: so we'll live,
And pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh
At gilded butterflies.
William Shakespeare (1564-1616)
- Father-Daughter Bond Affects the Daughter's Romantic Relationships, Nestor Lopez-Duran, Ph.D.
- Sacred Father-Daughter Adventure Remembered, Dr. Kevin Keough
- Men's Wisdom: Fatherhood, Charles Phillips
- What a Daughter Need from Her Dad: How a Man Prepares His Daughter for Life, Michael Farris
- Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters: 10 Secrets Every Father Should Know, Meg Meeker, M.D.
- Bringing Up Girls, James Dobson, Ph.D.
- Dads and Daughters: How to Inspire, Understand and Support Your Daughter When She's Growing Up So Fast, Joe Kelly
- Dads, Daughters and Body Image, PsychCentral.com
- Father-Daughter Bond Affects the Daughter's Romantic Relationships, Child-Psych.org