Daddy and Daughters Dance

Music is a large part of our lives; it is the manner by which we all know the experience of connection.  My daughters and I enjoy music immensely and it serves to help us grow closer in our faith and to often times to just have fun, laugh and giggle.  When the tempo is right, I am blessed to become once again their prince.  For that to happen, my youngest will wave her magic wand and sing, "Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo!"

The beauty of this time in our lives is each princess is still small enough, and I am strong enough, for me to lift them each off the ground for an imaginary waltz for the duration of a song or two before I need a break; it is a magical time for us both.  Sometimes, we find a special song that blends our faith and love for Christ with our day, such as Hungry (Falling on my knees), by Kathryn Scott.  We found the song on the drive to school one morning when my daughters wanted me to find a "girl's song"; flipping through our CD collection, I found this one.  We all loved it...and played it over..., and over..., and over again.

The song reminds me I am the father of two daughters, who will one day have their own relationship with Christ, directed by their own convictions founded upon Catholic principles and tradition.  In the present moment, it reminds me of our time together kneeling, holding hands, them squirming about and trying to recall the Lord's Prayer and then mumbling the parts they forget; when we don't know what to pray for, we leave it to the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:26).  Also, it punctuates some morning drives to school with the windows down, cool wind rushing about, and us singing in fellowship together, praising our Lord and giving thanks for the mornings we have as the sun comes over our local hills to brighten our souls and warm the air.

Whether my daughters are dancing their new "ballet moves" or we are waltzing,  we share joyful moments and create memories we will each hold dear for quite some time to come.




We two alone will sing like birds i'the cage:
When thou dost ask me blessing, I'll kneel down,
And ask of thee forgiveness: so we'll live,
And pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh
At gilded butterflies.
William Shakespeare (1564-1616)

Resources:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Even though my marriage was annulled and I feel well on the path of healing, I worry for my two daughters and how they might react to the absence of a father. Their father lives in another country, has another life, and even though they get to talk with him once a week, and spend vacation with him, it always breaks my heart because I know how having a close father is important to growing girls. Thank you Ed and all those single dads out there that put in the effort to continue a relationship with your daughters even when it seems tough. Christina