Dads Fighting the Freedom of Choice Act

The fight for life will not be over if The Freedom of Choice Act (FOCA) is passed in congress January 21-22, 2009. This fight leaves me deeply moved by the events resulting in the destruction of innocent life. While I am soulfully sorrowful that the I was not able to see the magnitude of what is occurring prior to the Lord's recent conversion of my mind, heart and ears to both know and hear, I am also more than ever certain of my convictions.

As I mentioned to a woman at a talk given by Fr. Denis G. Wilde (http://www.priestsforlife.org/) yesterday, I went through undergraduate school and graduate school, became a medical health professional and not once did I see photos (see links in right column) of the remains of dead children from an abortion. I clearly remember my professors not wanting us to choose the debate of abortion because "it had already done time and again." So, my then peers absorbed the teaching of the universities, not knowing better and not prompted by a well formed awareness through our faith.

I say this, because I want to underscore the importance of our work as parents in the faith formation and education of our children to the issues around them. Without a firm foundation, our children will take in the teaching of a secular world, only to one day perhaps find themselves learning the truth if they yield to the Holy Spirit. Often, I feel as perhaps Paul felt, as a former persecutor (out of ignorance) of the Church: "...Whatever gains I had, these I have come to consider a loss because of Christ..." (Philippians 3:7).

Can I or we continue to give consent by silence? No, not I and it is this scripture which seems to be the one that captures the challenge for me: “Watch carefully then how you live, not as foolish pesons but as wise, making the most of the opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore, do not continue in ignorance, but try to understand what is the will of the Lord” (Ephesians 5-16-17).

To those who are faithful, I adopt this encouragement for you and your family: "Keep on doing what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me [St. Paul]. Then the god of peace will be with you" (Philippians 4:9).

Resources:
American Center for Law and Justice / Issue Index on Abortion

CatholicDads.org / Pro-Life

Fight FOCA

Americans United for Life

Track FOCA through Congress

Calendar for Life

Abortion Medical News





No comments: